Monday, October 02, 2006

The Ivory-Bill is back?


OK, so I still haven't unearthed the camera. I'm too busy trying to get the kitchen in order. I hate trying to cook in a messy kitchen. We bought cork (from Williams-Sonoma :) to line the shelves, but I have serious cork cutting and measuring disabilities, so I have to wait until Ron can finish it to put everything away. Thank goodness there's an artist in this house! But I digress...

My real point was the news about the ivory-billed woodpecker. It was seen first maybe in 2004 by a kayaker? This was in the big woods of Arkansas. Since then, Cornell University has led the main thrust of the investigation into whether ivory-bills still exist. They were thought to have been extinct since the 1940's. Now sightings have even been reported in the panhandle of Florida! Now I have to say, that the ivory-bill seems very distinct (to me) from the pileated woodpecker. They have a wide white wing bar (visible in flight and at rest) that would not be visible in the pileated. They also have a huge ivory colored bill. The pileated's is smaller and darker. Furthermore, they are larger overall with one white stripe along the neck instead of two, and the female has a black crest instead of red like the pileated. All of those things could make for some very conclusive identification. My feeling on it is this: If bird experts saw it and say it's an ivory-bill, then they are most likely right. It's just very exciting that an extinct species may prove to be still alive after all.

If you go to the
Cornell site, there are lots of sound files, photos and a video a man shot accidentally that shows the flash of white barred black wings through the forest. Looks like an ivory bill to me! :) I can't wait until they find conclusive proof. I wish I could sign up for that volunteer position to help look for them!

1 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger Brenda or Eric said...

That's why you get your Master's/Ph.D. and apply for grants. Then you can do stuff like that.

How do you think these other people get to do this kind of research. Grants from the government. Check it out. Hell, you can probably apply for one now with your knowledge of birds. And it would also help Disney out.

Do some research on getting a grant. Believe me, the government gives out grants for many reasons, and a lot of them are very, VERY stupid.

It never hurts to try. They can only tell you No. What's the harm? Hell, maybe even Disney can help you out with it. Just show iniative. It would give you more experience and give Disney more prestige by helping in the research to find out if the bird is extinct or not. Think about it.

I'm still hoping that you will get your Master's. You're too smart not to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home