Monday, September 04, 2006

Tree Frogs Galore!

We've seen a lot of tree frogs lately. And we've not just seen the Cuban kind, which are everywhere. We've seen green tree frogs! They're the Florida natives and smaller (and cuter in my opinion) than the big brown Cuban frogs. The Cuban tree frogs actually eat the smaller greens and out-compete them for food and habitat. It's much the same problem we see with Cuban anoles and green anoles. We see a lot of both native herps here though since we have a forest behind the apartment.

Yesterday, I found what I'm pretty sure was a green tree frog on our railing. If anyone out there is more of a herper than I, please correct me! It was SO tiny and cute! I took two photos, one for size reference, and one up close and personal.

3 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger Calabogie said...

Hyla cinerea, or the Green Tree Frog should have white or light brown stipes just below it's eyes flowing back to about the mid-section of it's body if I'm not mistaken.

I can't tell from the picture if yours has them or not. There are two other species of Green Tree Frogs native to the south-eastern U.S and they are very similar. Not sure which one that is Buzz but it's a beauty and you KNOW how much I love frogs! lol

Love ya bunches,
Dad

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Ron Salas said...

He had brown stripes under his eyes, but they weren't very light and he didn't look quite right for a green tree frog. So I don't know. Thanks for the comment Dad!

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Brenda or Eric said...

It's SO cute!!! I want one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home