Monday, June 18, 2007

Lake Louisa State Park

OK, long post coming up because I'm very excited about this park. We visited there a few weeks ago before our blistering heat wave. It's a two time National Gold Medal Winner for State Parks, and it deserves it!

Lake Louisa State Park is located in the rolling hills of Clermont. (yes, we do have some hills!) It was so wonderful to crest that first hill and have a bird's eye view of the rolling green lands and quiet lakes beyond. It's full of history and comprised of at least 11 different natural communities. The sandhills are one that truly fascinate me since their quartz sand is a remnant of ancient dunes that used to be at Florida's shoreline. The park covers 4500 acres total, and includes 6 lakes and 2 streams. I would love to stay in the cabins that overlook one of the lakes someday. It's SO beautiful and relaxing.

One of the big attractions at the park is the beach on Lake Louisa. The boardwalk
to the beach was pretty in and of itself. It was even more entertaining as we stopped to watch 2 wrens scolding each other loudly. I swear, those birds are brave for all the tinier they are. Maybe they have a Napoleon complex. :)

The water in Lake Louisa is a deep, dark brown because of all the trees
growing in and around it. The cyprus trees in particular leave a lot of tannins in the water. There were many alligator warning signs, along with a lifeguard trained to watch for them. I dont' know if I'd be willing to swim in such poor visibility with gators around. The water levels were also very low due to our recent extreme drought. Picnics abounded, and it reminded me very much of home, except that cyprus and mangroves surrounded us instead of oaks and maples. ;-)

Cyprus trees are some of my favorites.



I couldn't resist standing inside this one. I also got very close to a green anole who promptly let me know he was boss by inflating his big pink dewlap. I got a photo of that but it didn't turn out nearly as well as this one, so green is all you get..

We wandered the rest of the park and saw old orange groves and cow pasture alongside newly reestablished sandhills and scrub. The lakes were ALL beautiful, and we glimpsed many fish, turtles, alligators and birds. Each lake has a beautiful fishing pier from which to observe them. There were many trails, but it was pretty hot, so we didn't explore as much as I'd like. I want to go back and spend more time around the streams. I also finally got to get a photo of what I like to call my little "punk" birds. The cattle egrets get a nice orange mohawk on their heads around breeding season along with a beautiful orange breast. I LOVE to see it! Here is a photo of one of them. I hope it's clear enough! I've been trying for ages!
I plan to post more photos of the amazing colors birds display only during breeding season down here.
We will definitely be back to Lake Louisa in the cooler months! I was so glad to find such a wonderful place. I think it even tops Wekiva for me!



2 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Hahahaha, that bird totally does look like a punk!!

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Buzz-a-bee!!

Two things for you. I love the recent posts and you did a great job of getting pics!

The second thing is that I saw a new bird while on a trip back from our dentist in Den Haag (The Hague.) It was with a bunch of Magpies and at first I thought it was one of them. Then I saw this bright orange bill that was WAY too big for a Magpie! I thought maybe is was just a mutation but I was incorrect.

After getting home, I looked it up and it turns out to be a Eurasian Oystercatcher!

I can't upload a pic here but you can find it at the following link:

http://www.mangoverde.com/birdsound/spec/spec55-6.html

Click on the pics for a closer look. They're supposed to be common here but this is the first one I've seen in 2.5 years. Maybe they're just more toward the shore than we are.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting and that you might like it.

We're in Cologone (Koln), Germany right now for the weekend (wonderful place!) but we'll be back in town the middle of next week. Please pass this on to g-mother and g-father and your Aunt Amy if you don't mind.

Lova ya bunches kiddo and I'll get a pic of the Dom cathedral and the Rhine for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home