Monday, July 24, 2006

Wekiwa or Wekiva?

We've been to Wekiwa Springs many times since our first visit, and I'll tell you a little about some of the subsequent visits. But before I do that, I want to challenge you all to find the difference between the words Wekiwa and Wekiva and what they mean. (You Floridians should have an advantage! Any takers?)

Now.. back to our trips. :) A co-worker taught me how to kayak (props Kevin!), and one trip was on the Wekiva. It was gorgeous, with swallow tailed kites skimming the water, baby 'gators, immature white little blue herons randomly splashed with their adult blue color, and even a limpkin! Since I loved it so much, I wanted to share it with Ron. (of course!)

Ron and I went in the spring and saw all kinds of turtles and many baby alligators. Have you ever seen them? They are adorable with their little baby grunts. Ron even got to hear that, though we were cautious of watchful mama nearby.

Where the river opens up into still water and wide grasslands, we spotted the elegantly gorgeous swallow-tailed kite soaring overhead. Wekiva must be a big breeding ground for little blues because we saw the juvenilesagain as well. The competitive croaking of the bullfrogs even cracked us up.

On the way back though is where the trip got the most exciting for me. We heard people jibbering excitedly as we pulled up to an area known for otter sightings. But I saw no otters. Then, just as I was about to give up, a sleek brown head popped out of the water and disappeared again. I saw them a few more times before continuing on to the beginning of the river. It was just so cool to see a whole family of otters swimming around our kayaks. I had never seen that before and haven't since. I think Ron's favorite part though was the silly turtle we watched flailing his legs wildly before he plunked gracelessly into the water.

Here are some photos from when we took my parents, sister and her boyfriend and my nephew Cole to Wekiwa. That boy is just a baby after my own heart. He loved seeign the birds, plants, lizards and even insects. And he's only one year old!

Cole pointing out the birds and trees on the Wekiwa forest walk.


I have no idea what this is, but I'm just so darn proud of the photo. Any entomologists out there?

7 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing, I am no entomolgist but I am a fair researcher. The dragonfly you have there is a female ebony jewelwing, also known as a black-wing damselfly.

http://www.gloriamundipress.com/dragonflies/id56.htm

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I goofed. I posted the Wekiwa answer on the wrong entry. Still new to this blogosphere. So, in the interest of propriety here is the answer again:
Wekiwa means "bubbling water" and refers to the spring that feeds the Wekiva or "flowing water" river.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Calabogie said...

Beautiful stuff! Kudos to Kevin for his spot-on identification of the black-wing damselfly. One of my favorites (and no, I'm not an entomologist either Kevin, just a curious person who reads everything within reach.)

Buzz: Remember the alligator that we thought was going after the doll you dropped in the water? Funny stuff! LOL

A trivia question for the trekkies out there. Which episode of the original Star Trek used the sound of baby alligators still in their shells and what creatures were they used for?

I know, WAY too much trivia. Brain just doesn't drain properly.

Love ya bunches kiddo and keep up the good work! Also, let us know when you're going to be here. I can't find the email with your itinerary.

Dad

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Kevin for the ID! Also thanks for the Wekiva answer. Of course you're right. It's ok you had an edge. I doubt too many other people were chomping at the bit to answer! haha

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may not be a trekkie but I have seen the "Trouble with tribbles" episode and now that I think about it, they do sound awfully familiar...

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Calabogie said...

Close Kevin. It wasn't tribbles and they were not involved in the episode in question.

There were two aliens in this particular episode and it involved a black cat and a sceptre with a glass (probably supposed to be crystal) on the end of it.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Brenda or Eric said...

I know, I know. But I won't tell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home