Wednesday, July 12, 2006

backyard birds

I haven't heard our friend the Chuck Will's Widow lately. They're an evening birdwith a really interesting call. It took us a long time to figure out what it was since, being northerners, we'd never heard it before. We even wondered if it was a type of owl!! (silly people) We figured it out when I stumbled across a description that said they they call "incessantly" in 3 notes (chuck-wills-widow!). I thought, "Yup! That describes our little birdie friend to a T!" I highly recommend listening to this recording of their call.

Chuck will's widows are the largest of the nightjars. Since they tend to stay hidden at night though, I've only gotten one glimpse of one of the many around our complex. I have seen and heard their family relatives, the common nighthawk, many times though. I've seen them swooping for insects in floodlit areas, and heard them as they made their nasally little screech in the forest near our apartment.

We have a lot of owls around our place as well. A great horned owl hooted all night long for a few weeks, much to my friend Kathy's dismay when she visited. I saw the owl once perched on the apartment rooftops. I was so excited that I stood out there in the dark, with my groceries, for about 15 minutes looking around for anyone who was excited as I was. A barred owl made its prescence known very faintly around 6pm one day, and some species of owl screamed so loudly and angrily outside our window one night, that we bolted upright, hearts pounding, sure a murder was being committed. We'd like to think it was a barn owl, since they are harder to spot, but other owls are capable of screaming also.

Another bird I miss is the pileated woodpecker. We had quite a bold raucous pair every evening for a few months. I haven't seen or heard them in a while.

Watching birds (and the occasional racoon ;-) from our balcony has taught me a lot. I can now identify cardinals, pileated, downy and red-bellied woodpeckers, great crested flycatchers, the tiny northern parulas, catbirds, mockingbirds, red shouldered hawks and ruby throated hummingbirds by sight and sound. I never would have imagined bird watching would be so fun and relaxing. Does this mean I'm getting old? ;-}

6 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger Ron Salas said...

This blog is very well written and insightful. It makes me want to go outside and see animals. Great job!

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey B! awesome blog, your man R pointed me to it... i've seen quite a lot of birds in my own backyard: we've had small owls, cardinals, blue jays, mockingbirds, turtledoves, crows, vultures, cranes & egrets, hawks & ospreys, even bald eagles! i guess i'm getting old too...

i'll keep readin'! hope you're well,
-h

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Heather said...

This one cracked me up! I can just see you standing there in wonder with your groceries, waiting for someone to share the excitement with!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Ron Salas said...

I've finally gotten my comments the way they should be! yay! (and thanks Ron.. and thanks for the plug sweetie... you're very nice. :)
Hugo - you got to see screech owls?!? MAN! I want to see them! They are SO cute!.

haha. Thanks Haf. silly huh?

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Calabogie said...

Hey Buzz! I need to get those pics up for you to identify but in the meantime, in Nebraska we used to "hear" what I believe was a Nightjar but I'm not sure. Maybe you can help out here.

This particular bird is an insectivore and hunts msotly at night. It's very difficult to get a picture since it's rarely out in the daylight but there is something VERY distinctive about it that may help identify it definitively. When it swoops down to catch an insect and it's right above your head, there is a "whaang" sound when it opens it's wings to pull out of the dive.

Extremely disturbing when you're walking at night and suddenly hear that very loud sound directly over your head.

Any ideas on the specific name?

Just wondering.

Love ya bunches kiddo,
Dad

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Ron Salas said...

Hey Dad!
Most likely a common nighthawk. They are very common and very active. They're also a little more likely to be seen at dusk than the others. I hadn't noticed the wing noise, but they do use their wings to make noise during breeding displays, so I wouldn't doubt it was them.

Nightjars are a Mexican species sometimes found in neighboring states. The only other thing I think it would be likely to be would be a poorwill. But they are much smaller and less common, and it's just more probable that it was the nighthawk. They're all in the family Caprimulgidae with their big wide mouths and cute "whiskery" faces.
Thanks for reading and can't wait to see those photos!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home